Reflection

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Get Experience With All Types of Learners

For this weeks blog I chose to write about Grant and Gillette's item number one, getting experience with all types of learners. I think that my experience in practicum apply directly to this one. There are 20 different students in my classroom with probably 20 different ways of learning. One of the biggest differences between students that I have noticed is simply age differences. In Michigan the cut off to get into a grade is in January. Because of this some children enter kindergarten at age 4. Even in second grade, I can see the effects of this age gap. Some of the second graders are still 6 while others will turn 8 in a few months. I would argue that this age difference changes many of the students learning styles. While some of the younger children seem as mature as the older students, many of them have a shorter attention span and also seem to be having a harder time in math and reading. The few students having the hardest time in the class right also happen to be some of the younger ones.

Also, many of the students receive extra support in reading, math, or speech. I have found that I need to use some different strategies when helping these children in the class. Sometimes these students just need a different strategy to help them grasp the concept. Each of the students in my class has different strengths and weaknesses. It is part of a teacher's job to learn about his/ her students' abilities. That way the instruction can be individualized as much as possibke to the students needs. I have been trying to pay attention to each student's abilities in practicum, although it is hard to keep track of everything! I have found it very interesting to keep track my focus child's work and start to analyze his learning style!

1 Comments:

Blogger Shari said...

Try to include some examples. For instance, if you need to try a different strategy, given an example of what you did.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home