Reflection

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Entering Feeling About Practicum

I remember being very nervous about entering practicum for the first time. I was not sure what to expect of my CT or of the class. I didn't know how the students would react to having two more adults in the room. Right away we learned that the elementary school I'm at is a very diverse elementary school, which I was very excited to learn. I had never been exposed to a very diverse school and wanted to see how that played out in the classroom. It turns out in my class a few of the children speak a different language at home. Already, I have seen my CT try to incorporate different cultures into the classroom. This seems like a very important aspect of the classroom and for making an inclusive community.
I was also very nervous about being able to soak up everything I am observing in the classroom. I want to try to pick up on the strategies that my CT uses for classroom management, organizing lessons, keeping the class active, ect. It is very overwhelming at first to try and take in everything that is going on. The notebook of observations we are taking helps me to organize my thoughts and look back at everything that happened during the day. Otherwise I think I would forget some of the important details. I am also a little nervous about where I should try to fit in. I was not sure whether my teacher wanted me help her on certain things or try to give her space. I think this will come to me more with time. I have already found myself more comfortable in the classroom. I am starting to get the feel of where I should stand and when I should be more involved. I am looking to become more comfortable and learning more as the semester goes on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shari said...

Be sure to use a pseudonym for your school. You can make the change and repost.

You could talk with your field instructor and your CT about your involvement. Be sure to give her/him an example of a situation when you weren't sure what your level of involvement should be.

Glad you have a chance to experience a more diverse setting than ones you were accustomed to.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home